The Top 5 Reasons to Go Vegan
Reasons for going vegan range from ethical and environmental to health-related. These are the top five reasons you should consider making the month of August anumal-free:
1) You will save 100 animals each year. By going vegan for a year you could save the lives of at least 100 animals including pigs, cows, and chickens. Nearly one million chickens die per hour in the United States alone.
2) By going meat-free you’ll help more of our available food supply go to people instead of livestock. Currently, more than 70% of our wheat and corn crops go to feed livestock rather than people, therefore those crops are withheld from those people who are going hungry on a regular basis.
3) A diet that is heavily plant-based will lower your cholesterol, thus lowering your chance of heart disease and heart attacks. A vegan’s cholesterol average is below 133. Anything above 150 is considered at risk.
4) Vegans get less cancer. Plant eaters are only 40% as likely as those who eat meat to get any form of cancer.
5) You can help reduce effects of global warming, as many of the chemicals produced by factory farmed animals, such as methane, nitrous oxide, hydrogen sulfide, which are contributing factors to global warming.
By pledging to go vegan and by making the month of August animal-free, you can improve your health, the lives of animals, and the environment!